Contracts have been exchanged on the sale of the A E Harris site in Northwood Street.
All this is subject to the buyers obtaining a successful planning consent for their development. The buyers are a joint venture of Galliard Homes Ltd & Aspley House. Already this year they have bought two other sites in Birmingham, on Gooch Street and the Soho Loop to build nearly 900 homes.
For A E Harris, it is exciting times, for having been in the Jewellery Quarter since 1880, they will now have to look for a new home,
Northwood Street is a mish-mash of buildings which are not exactly conducive to modern manufacturing, complete with a road running through the centre.
Since hitting a peak of nearly two hundred staff in the mid-eighties, they now have just forty, but remain profitable, trade off capital not credit and have their own product in the Chapman Bus Driver Seat.
Their aim is to try and relocate as near to the city as they can to enable them to keep all their staff.